Monday, May 23, 2011

The Best Thing I Had In My Mouth - Caracas Arepa Bar

People who me, know I love Caracas, the arepa bar located both in the Lower East Side and Williamsburg.  It was one of the first restaurants I ever ate at in New York, and it was one of  the first foods I had never tried, but instantly liked.

To describe what an arepa is, can be quite difficult.  It seems like everyone has a different perspective.  The simplest, and pretty poor description of an arepa, is an Venezuelan sandwich, a crunchy but soft corn disk, hollowed out and stuffed with meats, cheese, beans, and whatever else.  A little pocket of delicious flavor.  Click here to read Caracas' much better description.  My go-to-arepa is the La Mulata, an arepa filled with black beans, cheese, jalapenos, and sweet plantains.  This was definitely the best thing I had in my mouth all week.  The sidekicks and micheladas are so good too!  I could go on and on about Caracas, but it is better if you just go there.  Click here to view their menu.  The Manhattan location is cute and cozy, and the Williamsburg location is larger, with an outdoor seating area, and they take reservations!

Click here for my Crispy Chocolate Cookie recipe.

p.s.  I swear I have been cooking!  Just need a bit to get my posts together.

No comments:

Post a Comment