Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Murray's Cheese Class - Honey & Cheese Pairing

After long and relaxing week in Mexico, it is back to reality.  After an overload of beer, margaritas, and beans and rice, starting today I am doing a 3-day BluePrint Cleanse (for real this time).  But before I start that (drinking hot water with lemon as I type), I am trying to forget about all the delicious food I have eaten these past couple weeks.  Two weeks ago, my friends and I went to Murray's Cheese for a honey and cheese pairing class.  Taught by Louise Geller and Let It Bee Honey bee keeper, Christine Lehner, the class went through some amazing cheese and honey combinations.


A couple of my favorites included:

-Bee Raw Buckwheat Honey, which is thick, dark, gritty, super sweet and molassesy.
Paired with:
-Fresh ricotta, so light, fresh and milky.
Making a delicious dessert combination.  This was my favorite!

Red Bee Honeycomb, a total show stopper, light and sweet, and you can eat the wax.
Paired with:
-La Tur, a combination of cow, goat, and sheep's milk cheese, which is tangy, buttery, and creamy (cheesecake tasting without the sugar).
Together it takes like cheesecake.
Red Bee Honeycomb.  So pretty!
Mitica Lavender Honey, which is so smooth and delicious.
Paired with:
Marieke Gouda, which is out-of-this-world good - crunchy, dry, and butterscotchy.
Combined together creates a candy-like treat.

These were just a few of the pairings, but all of them were pretty good.  The best part about honey and cheese pairings is that it is hard to make a bad combination.  Buy a loaf of bread, a special honey, and a good piece of cheese, a bottle of prosecco, and you are set for a fun and fancy little party.

If you are interested in bees, Christine suggested some books to read:

Honeybee Democracy and The Dance Language and Orientation of Bees.

If you would like to learn more about Murray's Cheese classes, click here, and to see their full class calendar, click here.
Such a stylish girl at class.  Jealous!

To read about Green Almonds, click here.
Ramps are in season!  Click here to read more about them.
For the most fluffy, delicious, lemony angel food cake, click here.

I will be posting my BluePrint Cleanse adventure throughout the week.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. This class sounded really interesting. Everything sounded amazing. Good luck with your cleanse, I know how hard it will be for you. :)

    ReplyDelete