Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Tomato & Parmesan French-Style Omelet

So I have started my Clinton St. Baking Company Cookbook adventure.  My first recipe to try was a simple one - the French-style omelet.  Three eggs, a tablespoon of butter, and whatever filling you want.  I decided to go with marinara and Parmesan cheese.  According to my BFF, this is an odd combination, but it is what I had on hand, and the cookbook also suggest tomato jam as a filling (which is basically a thick marinara).  I argued that salsa and cheddar is an acceptable filling, so why can't marinara be?  I stood my ground and made it, and you know what?  It was delicious - almost like lasagna.  The salty cheese mixed with the buttery, fluffy egg, and the warm mariana was a delightful combination.  I would definitely recommend trying it, especially if you have a small amount of marinara lying around.  I will say, that after two omelets, I still need practice flipping.

Here are the ingredients for the Marinara and Parmesan French-Style Omelet, adapted from the Clinton St. Baking Company Cookbook:

-3 eggs, any size
-Salt and black pepper, to taste (I usually do pinch of small salt per egg)
-1 tablespoon unsalted butter
-1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
-1/4 cup marinara (I used Newman's Own Marinara Sauce)

To begin, crack the eggs in a bowl and add salt and pepper.  Whisk vigorously with a fork until frothy like orange juice.  Prepare your toppings, by grating the cheese and measuring out marinara.  Place both in small bowls.  It is important to have all ingredients ready, because it only takes a couple minutes to make an omelet.  Time goes fast people!
Heat a non-stick pan or omelet pan over medium heat until it is hot.  Add butter and swirl around until it is melted.  If the butter browns, the pan is too hot, it just needs to be foamy.
Pour or ladle in the eggs, and the edges should start curdling immediately.  Shake the pan back and forth a bit, and use a spatula to lightly scramble them, until they are a bit creamy and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes.  The entire bottom of the pan should be covered.  Turn off the heat and add the Parmesan and marinara in the center of the omelet.
Use the spatula to loosen the sides and fold half the omelet towards the middle, partly covering the filling.  Now gently roll over the side again, and then have your plate ready.  With your pan at a 45 degree, place it in the center of the plate which should be at 45 degree angle (they should make a V-shape), then gently roll onto the plate.  The omelet seam should be hidden underneath.  This is where I need practice!  Serve immediately!

Watch Julia Child make an omelet here:

Click here to check out the Pasta Dictionary I mentioned last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment