Sunday, January 3, 2010

Two-Hour Nut Rolls

My mom has been making my great-grandmother Mary's nut rolls since I can remember.  They were my grandpa Mike's favorite Russian treat.  I would like to carry on the tradition, so over the holiday break I made them with my mom.  These nut rolls are sweetened with honey and are a great breakfast or anytime treat.

Here are the ingredients for two-hour nut rolls (makes four large rolls):
For Dough:
-6 cups all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/2 pound unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
-3 tablespoons granulated sugar
-3 large eggs, beaten
-8 ounces of sour cream
-1 package of dry yeast
-1/2 cup warm milk

For Filling:
-1 pound walnuts, ground
-3/4 cup milk
-1/3 cup granulated sugar
-1/3 cup honey
-2 egg yolks, beaten
-1 teaspoon vanilla

Begin by making the filling so it has time to cool before you add it to the dough.  In a medium sauce pan, mix egg yolks, sugar, honey, and milk and cook over low heat until thickened.
Ground the walnuts finely in a food processor.
Add walnuts and vanilla to the thickened mixture and mix until combined.  Let cool.
While filling is cooling, dissolve yeast in warmed milk (be careful not to heat the milk too hot so it does not kill the yeast).  Using an electric mixer, blend the yeast mixture, eggs, sugar, butter, and sour cream until well combined.
Add the flour in two parts and mix with a dough hook or knead until well combined.  The dough will be sticky.
Generously flour your counter and divide the dough into four parts.
Roll out each section into large rectangles about 1/4 of an inch.  Then spread a quarter of the cooled nut filling all along the rolled dough and then roll the dough along the long side of the rectangle. 
Create the remaining three rolls and place all four on two greased baking sheets.  Let rise for one hour or until the rolls have doubled in size.
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brush with egg wash and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
Serve warm or at room temperature (I like the rolls at room temperature the best).

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this blog. The last picture made the nut rolls look really good and tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had lost my original 2 hr. nut roll recipe (I guess I lent it out too much). Thanks for posting it. My uncle passed away this week and I was asked to bake some for the funeral. Your blog was a lifesaver. I especially like the step by step pictures since anyone making it for the first time gets confused. I, like you, was blessed to help my Hungarian grandma (very little English) make them for all our holidays. She took great joy in teaching me and knowing it would be passed down.

    ReplyDelete