Sunday, February 8, 2009

La Colombe

Months ago I ventured out before 9:00 am on a Saturday and headed downtown to Tribeca. I was on a search for the best coffee shop in the city. I had read about La Colombe Cafe in a blog called Big City, Little Kitchen (read article here), and was convinced to get up early and make my way down. Walking through Soho, Little Italy, and Chinatown, it was surreal to see the markets and restaurants waking up before the hustle and bustle of the city started. When I finally made it to La Colombe, it was definitely worth my venture.

La Colombe is located on the corner of Church Street and Lispenard. When you walk in you notice the high ceilings and open space. Organic shaped wood tables line the sun drenched walls with the coffee bar beckoning you to order something. Along with the welcoming atmosphere, all the baristas are really friendly. The first time I went to La Colombe I ordered a cappuccino, but the most recent time I also ordered some pastries.
The coffee drinks are served in beautiful black and white cups and saucers, and for my cappuccino they created sweet heart designs in the foam. The cappuccino was thick and velvety with the perfect amount of espresso bitterness mixed with hot milk. I also got a delicious pear tart, that had a crisp sweet nutty crust and soft fruit center. I also had a raspberry dessert, but it isn't really worth talking about - it was pretty though.
If you are in the Tribeca area, you should definitely stop by La Colombe. There is usually a table available and it is a quiet place to sit and read. People are always coming in waves, but a lot of times they have their dogs on leashes and are getting their coffee to go. If I lived closer, I would be there every weekend.

For more pictures of La Colombe, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment